Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Two Year Old Appointment

We took Reeves yesterday for his two year old doctor's checkup. Oh, how cute he was holding my hand as we walked across the parking lot. How perfectly adorable he was playing with the toys and reading the books in the waiting room. Even undressing him and taking his measurements was a dream. By the way, he is 27 pounds and 37 inches tall. According to Dr. Goedecke, he should be a little over six feet tall when he grows up. I'm taking that with a grain of salt, but apparently, along with those Messervy eyes, he may have inherited some of the Messervy and Robertson height of a generation or so ago. But I digress…it wasn't long into the appointment that this angel child of mine suddenly turned into a devil. We were talking with the doctor. He wanted to leave the room. Let the screaming commence. Pediatricians are special people. It didn't even phase her. She just kept talking to me, maybe a little bit louder now, and hardly seemed to notice the howler monkey now trying to launch himself from his father's grasp. Reeves finally did calm down and put his head on my shoulder and nearly fell asleep. This was when Bryant mentioned to her my concerns about his speech. It’s so funny. I'll be OK one day, knowing that he is developing just fine, but then I'll read something about a child with a vocabularly similarly lacking in volume to Reeves', and I start to panic. Bryant does his best to convince me that he is fine, but I read more and get more worried. Then I talk to people whose children hardly uttered a sound until they were three, and I start to feel better again. And that was what Dr. Goedecke confirmed yesterday. Her main concern was that he understands and hears what we were saying to him. For example, when he's playing on the other side of the room and we say, "Are you ready for a bath?", does he jump up and go running to the bathroom? Well, he hears the question, but recently, his reaction has been more of falling to the ground, rending his clothes to shreds, and screaming like his eyes are being gouged out. So yes, he both hears and understands the question, although his response is a bit hyperbolic. This is good. She said at 2, the main concern is that he doesn't have hearing problems and that the comprehension is there. He does communicate verbally; it's just that the words aren't actually English; but that's a good thing. Once the words start coming, he'll just start filling them in where right now he only has sounds. Momma's relaxed … for now. If I'm still concerned in 6 months or so, maybe we'll reevaluate.
There were no shots at this appointment, but he did have to get his finger pricked to test his iron. Iron levels are fine, and there was a lion on his bandaid, and as we all know, that helps heal a booboo faster than anything. I can't believe we walked out of that office without setting up another appointment. There's not another visit due until his 3 year old check up. Are we already there? We went to this office nearly every other week for forever, and now we just have to pop in once a year? I can't believe it. We did talk to Dr. Goedecke about Deuce. She said, depending on when the delivery takes place, she'll either be there that day or the next. That was a reality check for me. We're already talking about a pediatrician's visit with this next baby!! Where has the time gone?? Why do I feel so behind in the preparation for this baby? Oh my goodness, I've got to go. I have about half a house I need to go through and purge!

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Glad that Reeves is doing fine, but I pray for the day when I go a year without visiting the ped. office - childhood illness be gone!

Amanda said...

I hear your concerns about the speech... he will get there in his time and when he has something extremely important to say. Don't hesitate to call, though, if you want to talk about it... I've been there...