Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Open Wide And Say "AAAHHH!"

Can't believe I didn't put it on the blog right after the appointment, but that's what happens when Mommy decides to take a month off from blogging - important events in the children's lives go undocumented. Oh well. This post will have to suffice.
Reeves had his first dentist's appointment on April 8. Luckily, I'd been preparing him for this day since he was a month old by making fairly regular visits to the office just to go ahead and get him acquainted. Well, that and I suppose visiting his grandfather had something to do with it. Actually, I am convinced that those past visits did indeed get him excited about finally getting into the chair where he has seen his Pops working on so many people.
Like anyone who goes to the dentist, we made sure to brush his teeth right before we went. He first got to watch me get me teeth cleaned. (No cavities, thank you!) Kim, Dad's wonderful hygenist, let Reeves assist her with my cleaning. When it was finally his turn, he jumped right up in the chair, where he got to wear some "pretty tool" sunglasses. She counted his teeth (20) and even polished a few. She told him and showed him everything she was going to do. I can't thank her enough for being so patient with him. It's not really a pediatric dental office, so I'm glad we were able to pull some strings to get in!Reeves thought it was really neat when Pops came in to check out his teeth. And naturally, I thought it was very special that Reeves got to have his grandfather do this.
I was so proud of how brave my all-too-quickly growing boy was. If only each and every dental appointment could go as smoothly as this one did. Thanks Pops and Kim for making a potentially traumatic situation a happy and memorable one!

All clean!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you've read it in my blog - but I used to love going to the dentist (still do). I know I've heard all of the standard "people being afraid of the dentist" stories - but it has never been that way for me or my children. My kids love to go too. I can't imagine how excited they would be if it was Grandpa they got to go see - what a great thing!

Anonymous said...

Man - that is really cool to have Dad as your dentist and your grandfather, and I love those sunglasses too!