If anyone can give me any advice on getting my child to sleep through the night when he is anywhere other than in his own bed, please help! At home, he sleeps 10 to 11 hours a night with barely a peep. He loves to go to bed. But when we are not at home, we may as well be asking him to sleep on a bed of nails. He will not do it. I understand that he is frightened when he wakes up in a place other than his room, but he won't even try to fall asleep from the get go. Of course, normally this wouldn't be a problem. Let him cry until he falls asleep, but when there are other children in the picture, you just can't do this, otherwise, you have a symphony of awakened and crying children, and who wants that all night long?
We tried letting him sleep in Davis' travel Thomas bed - that didn't work (and I am now more nervous than ever about moving him into his big boy bed, but that's a whole different post!). We tried putting him in the pack-n-play in our room. Worked great for his nap, screamed that night. We put the pack-n-play in Davis' room, and that was where he ultimately gave in and fell asleep, but only till about 5:00.
Bryant and I are exhausted today! This child has got to learn to sleep in a place other than his bed. So far, all I can come up with is to let him spend the night with each of you for a night or two. That should cure him in a week or two!
6 comments:
No advice to offer but it sure was fun having him "sleep" over. Of course I wasn't the one who had to get up with him 2 hours before dawn.
what about music that stays the same despite location? a special booshaa? practicing in different rooms at home? (clare's spent a few nights in our master bathroom in her pack n play) bringing sheets that smell like home? bribery?
not sure, we have a tough time in new places too...even when we are just going to the beach for the weekend. the first night is never really pretty.
Are you using your pack n play? I would try him in the P n P at your house for a few nights.
I agree with CFS - Put the packnplay in different rooms of your house or even the grandparents if he stays over.
I would love to give it a shot in Charlotte again! If I remember correctly, I think he fell asleep at my place just fine! Bring that boy up here, and let's see what we can do! He can come anytime! LOL
Maybe try getting him to have a "sleeping friend". Mine was Smokey (my bear) who went everywhere with me; even college.
My children aren't so "one frined focused" like me and they give all of their animals, and even blankets, turns at being their sleeping friends. Maybe that will help.
Also - and unfortunately, it just may be a phase. My #1 did it more that the younger #2. #2 had to catch naps on the fly and got used to sleeping anywhere. #1 was always at home, in the crib for naps and nighttime sleeping. And when we were't, watch out.
Again, I say - give him a "sleeping friend". I've got my fingers crossed for you.
Post a Comment