Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

Well, the milestone I'd been looking for finally happened on Friday night. We were at the Bair's. I had put Bennett down in the crib. He had fussed a couple of times, and Julie had checked on him. I, of course, the dutiful mother, had put him down, and down he would stay until I was ready to get him. (Yes, he is happy, but I can also assume he's happy when I can't hear him. What a wonderful parenting secret.) Anyway, when I went to get him up to go home, he was on his tummy. Julie had already gone home, and with a fussy infant of her own, I didn't want to hazard a call over there on the off chance that she was grabbing a few blessed moments of sleep. The next morning we confirmed that she had not rolled him over because he woke up in his own crib on his tummy. I can't believe it. I knew Reeves had already rolled over by this age, so I was getting a little concerned that not only had Bennett not done it, but he had made no indication that he was even remotely interested in it. These poor children. Bennett's not even 6 months old, and I'm already comparing them.
Caroline and I had discussed this, and she had mentioned that EFR had had a problem with M rolling over in his crib, and then crying because he was not able to roll himself back over. Poor EFR. Reeves had never done that, and I could only imagine how frustrating that would be. Stupid me. Now I don't have to imagine. For the past three days and occasionally for naps, Bennett has greeted the day with maddening screams. He's stuck on his stomach and is not happy about it. Luckily, it's not at an ungodly hour, so it's not that bad. Why I keep wanting this child to hit all these milestones, I'll never know. I guess it's just one of those silly maternal instincts where the well being of your child wins out over your desire for peace and quiet.

No comments: