Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, January 14, 2008

Thanksgiving 2007

What a special day that was (all those months ago). We, as usual, had the big family feast at Big Laura and Rod's. It is so special to me when we can get everyone together like this. I can't believe I'm 32 and am still able to have family meals like this, just like it was all those years ago, except, of course, with the addition of a few wonderful new family members.
Reeves and I made placecards for everyone the night before. He was a willing accomplice at heart. Unfortunately, in practice, his poor finger got more of a workout than he was probably hoping for. I felt like a burgalar, covering up my prints. I was holding his finger, dipping and dabbing. To the outside world, Reeves prints were all over these things, but he and I know otherwise. I did let him do a few by himself, but leave it to my anal retentiveness to want the turkeys to ne as neat as possible. I really must learn to let go!
Because we had the entire family there, we arranged to take a family picture. Luckily, Laura and Rod's yard provided the most perfect backdrop. We placed Grandmother and Poppa in the center and all gathered around them. After all, they really are the anchors of this family. None of us would be here were it not for them. At this point, I feel I need to note that, as difficult as it is taking pictures of multiple children, just because they're all grown up doesn't really make it that much easier. If I could have mainlined ridalin into these people, I would have. Their focus was everywhere!! Maybe it's more frustrating with adults because you have some expectation of order-following-abilities or maybe it's because this had been planned well in advance and everyone knew about it. Whatever the reason, Big Laura and I were pulling our hair out trying to get this set up. But that's the great thing about family. You don't have to be too nice to them. We just directed everyone (eventually) to their designated spot, ordered them to smile, and came out with a great picture that we will all treasure for forever. And, my how we laughed about this ordeal. Why is it that the frustrating, whacky times always seem to be the ones you look back on and laugh the most at. "Oh, remember what fun we had when we were driving you crazy? Ha-ha-ha! Good times!"
Carolyn had made the most festive centerpiece for the table. Completely edible, I suppose you could say we had three turkeys for Thanksgiving dinner this year.I think we would fry the rice and peas if we could figure out a way to do it! Carolyn has always had incredible abilities when it comes to flower arranging, and she is now sharing her talent with more than just family and the church. She has done flowers for weddings and other events, so please keep her in mind if you ever need an event to be extra special in the floral department.
We warmed up for our meal with a out of key and off tune version of some Thanksgiving carols. (I don't really know what else to call them. I think they were hymns, but my musical knowledge only extends so far.) Gams had chosen these, and try as she might, she can lead us to the water, but she can't make us drink. We love to sing, but we're no Von Trapp family. An ear for music just doesn't run down this branch of the Anderson family tree. Luckily again, our efforts were met with laughs all around, and isn't that what being with family is all about?
Dinner was gluttonously delicious, as always. Poppa's saying was never more true than at the end of that meal. "As the cannibal said, 'I done ate a missionary and feel sanctified!" I think we all had a bit of the Spirit in us, and it wasn't just the triptophan. After some football watching and wonderful chatting, we were all ready to settle down for our long winters naps.
Reagan reminisced about having Little Baby Miller sitting on her lap. Hmmm, not so easy as it was 18 years ago.

Bennett and Miller showed off their matching haircuts.

Thank you, Laura and Rod, for hosting all of us. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I am dying laughing right now.

We, too, made the placecards for Thanksgiving out of fingertips. I dipped and dabbed their fingers precisely where I wanted them for, oh, about two each and then I told them what a great job they did and sent them on their way so I could do the rest in a way mere children simply couldn't do!

HA! The ones they did were the biggest hit, not mine. When will we ever learn to let go?!