Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Third Birthday, Reeves!

Here we are at your third birthday. I can’t believe it. Only 365 yesterdays ago, I was writing to you on your second birthday, marveling at what a big boy you were becoming, still being able to count the words you were able to say, just getting introduced to your fits, and most importantly, relishing our last days with you as an only child. We have now left all those things in the dust.
Obviously, the biggest change for you has been the introduction of Bennett into our family. Daddy and I were both nervous about the way you would accept your new sibling, but we shouldn’t have worried. You have been an amazing big brother to him. You have never gotten mad at him, never intentionally tried to hurt him, and have loved him unconditionally. I say this because so far, he is the only member of the household to whom you have not said, “I don’t like you no more!” Even now that Bennett is mobile and is able to take the toys you are playing with, you will still go and get him a replacement toy as you retrieve your original toy. I know this happy nirvana of no sibling rivalry will not last forever, but it certainly is nice right now. He is your “Baby Brudder”, and he adores you just as much as you adore him.
Speaking of “Brudder”, this is as good a time as any to discuss your ever expanding vocabulary and your ever increasing ability to actually verbalize those words intelligibly. While your speech has most definitely been slow, you have now, for the most part, caught up to your peers. Your pronunciation still leaves much to the imagination for most, but we understand you pretty well, and, unless you are whining, everyone else seems to also. I am so happy to see that you have finally progressed in this category. I know school helped a lot with this.
It has been so much fun watching you grow and change over this past year. Your new brother, your new school, the fact that I am now staying home. I know all of these things have made lasting impressions on you. You have handled them all very well. There have, naturally, been a number of bumps in the road, but, like all things, these too shall pass. Your temper has certainly blossomed as you have gotten older. Daddy says you get this from me. Probably. You are also quite persistent with your demands. Your memory is like an elephants, and it is taking quite some time for you to realize that you aren’t going to get what you want just by screaming and whining about it. Someday you’ll come around. You’re already starting to make teeny, tiny steps in that direction – the one in which you realize that candy is for after a meal, not in place of it, and you may as well zip it and just go ahead and eat because the faster you do, the closer you are to your “yoyyipop.” It is definitely hard sometimes not to give in to your demands, and occasionally I have a weak moment, but luckily you have learned just to take your temper to your room and lat it work itself out there.
Reeves, you are so loved. At the end of each day, no matter how frustrating it’s been, Daddy and I always thank God for you and Bennett. We are so lucky to have both of you. You are amazing children. I can’t wait to see the new person you will become this year. Such a big boy, but you’ll always be my baby. I love you!

No comments: