Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, April 02, 2007

First Annual Easter Egg Hunt

It is so much fun to see the beginning of a tradition. I hope this is one that can continue for many years to come. I'm sure that as teenagers, these children will still love to hunt eggs. We'll just have to come up with better hiding places - and probably better prizes inside. The proud mothers of the hosts and hostesses!We couldn't have asked for better weather - sunny and relatively cool, with a nice breeze on the incoming tide. Other than the totally uninvited gnat guests, everything was perfect. (I keep trying to convince myself that they actually serve a purpose, that they are the first tiny step in the great chain of life, and without them, we, as a species, would ultimately not survive, but, My Heavens!, do there really need to be so many of them!?) I can't thank the Walpoles/Halfords enough for again volunteering their little slice of paradise for this hunt. It was perfect - playtime, anticipation in the backyard, egg hunt in the frontyard, with each child getting a little glimpse on their way in as to the location of their favorite eggs. Clare came all the way from Columbia to take part in the action. Here she is with Reeves and Fordham. Fordham in Reeves' lap and Clare in Fordham's lap. Doesn't seem fair that the littlest is on the bottom, but this is how they lined themselves up, so who are we to judge?
Gammy and Grandmother made it to the hunt as well. I was so happy they were able to come. I think Grandmother was the only great-grandmother there. She was a great help with William - of course, who could turn down holding this little angel?
Reeves' big cousin, Preston, wouldn't have missed it. This was a busy Saturday for Preston, as I believe we were his third stop of the day. Reeves was so excited he was there. Thanks, Julie and Grandmama, for coming. I know it was a super busy day, but we were so glad you could be a part of this special day.
I think Julia might have been one of the oldest ones there. She was very good about making sure the little ones stayed in line. It was so good to see her and Legare. It has been way too long!
Grandmother and her two oldest great-grandchildren. Days like this give us all such special memories.
Henry was pretty pooped out by the time the Humps were heading out. He had done a lot of egg hunting, sandbox playing, and dumptruck pushing. I know he slept well that night! I hope Jenny was able to as well - what with that growing belly and all!
In addition to their rates of hair growth, here is one other little way in which DuBose and Reeves differ. All Reeves could do was watch from afar, paralyzed with apprehension, as DuBose ran to greet the Easter Bunny. Hopefully in a few years, Reeves will overcome this fear of oversized, animated stuffed animals. Unfortunately, this is something he gets from me. However, because of this, I know not to push him towards the beast, so I guess he's lucky I understand his fear.


And finally, of course, I just had to post some pick of Reeves doing what, apparently, he was born to do - hunt Easter eggs. Just earlier in the day, as I was removing this Easter basket (MY old Easter basket-what to do for the second one?) from its plastic bag, I was regretting the fact that I had not practiced picking up eggs with Reeves. I was certain we would have to spend a while showing him what to do. Well, if only every task could be this easy. Upon release, he immediately started picking up the eggs and putting them in his basket. I was amazed (and happy because it made it a lot easier to take pictures!). He loved it, and was so adept at it that I would have to surrepticiously remove eggs from his basket so that he could keep collecting. By the way, ever since the hunt, he has been in love with his Easter basket. He wanted to take it to church with him on Sunday and was quite upset this morning that we had to leave it at home. It's amazing how a child's excitement can reignite your own enthusiasm for a holiday. I love that we can look forward to this hunt every year.

1 comment:

aileen said...

It was so much fun!