Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Not Pregnant Anymore, Thank You Very Much

I'm working on the birth story, but in the meantime (since I have only yesterday ventured back into checking the blogs - a daily ritual I have truly missed) I will regale you with the story of what happened to me the first time I ventured out post partum.
The circumstances were very sad. Bryant's cousin's husband had died. The visitation was Tuesday night, the funeral was Wednesday, graveside. Knowing there was no way I would make it through a 97 degree graveside funeral, I wanted to at least make it to the funeral home to see her. I was really feeling OK, so Mom came up and watched the boys. I would be gone no more than an hour.
The funeral home was nice, and I was so glad I did go. I can't imagine losing my husband at 41. Unfortunately, we had just been there two weeks earlier for B's grandmother's funeral, so there were a lot of the same people there. Of course, I was big and pregnant then. Now, I'll grant you that I did have on a maternity shirt, but still...two people came up to me and asked when I was
going to have that baby! Are you kidding me?!? He was 7.1 and if you add in the placenta, I dropped over 8 pounds on Sunday! That's over half of what I had gained in total!
So I ask you, which is worse? Assuming someone is pregnant when they aren't at all or assuming someone is pregnant after they have just delivered? I mean, I know I'm not back to my catwalk physique but I am definitely not as ginormous as I was this time last week!

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Either is pretty rotten. You just don't ask those questions unless you KNOW the circumstances. A girl I used to work with was reduced to tears at Target because some nice person asked when she was due - and she'd had the baby 2 weeks ago. No female needs those questions!! By the way, I'm so impressed you're up and about! :)

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

(had a big typo - trashed the other since I couldn't edit - here it is again)

I take the other slant...asking when you're not prego is awful.

But asking when you've been "not prego" for just a few days is certainly forgivable.

#1 - They hadn't heard the fantastic news and they new you were due at the end of August and #2 - you have to admit that even though the baby is out, it still leaves you looking 6-7 months pregnant. Which is pretty pregnant.

And, lets face it, you looked fantastic pregnant, they were probably waiting for the really big, final weeks of swelling and dropping stage to set in and you never got there! :o)