Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, February 29, 2008

Give Peas a Chance

So, maybe going out of town the very day I resolved to get Bennett eating solids wasn't the best parenting decision, but the trip was already planned, and it's not like I was expecting a major breakthrough immediately. I tried getting him to eat bananas in the hotel room, but I might as well have tried feeding him in a funhouse. Despite the fact that it was only one room, there were so many new distractions, including his brother, that Bennett's focus wasn't really on the task at hand. I do think a little bit made it into his tummy, but it certainly wasn't like real progress. Fine. Thursday morning we hit the ground running. I had a whole smorgasboard laid out - rice cereal, applesauce, bananas, carrots, and peas. The jaw clamped shut. What little bit was actually able to make it past his lips came right out. I finally got to the peas. He started screaming. Undaunted, I shoved a teeny spoonful in midscream. He stopped, looked at me, and opened his mouth again. I couldn't believe it. He liked the peas!! Hey Mikie!! To be sure it wasn't a fluke, I put more peas into the open mouth. It worked. Oh joy! I added a little rice cereal to them to give them a thicker consistency with equal success. Maybe this is the breakthrough we've been needeing. He's not inhaling them, but he's at least amenable to the idea that all of his nourishment doesn't have to come from me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more success today. If motherhood has taught me nothing else, it has at least made me realize that what works one day doesn't necessarily work the next, but you can always hope.

1 comment:

carolinagirl576 said...

Catherine, It was great meeting you at the egg hunt. We are in the same feeding stage right now! Meghan