Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, April 14, 2008

Bennett at Eight Months

Benny Boy, where does the time go? Somehow your seventh month flew right past us, and here we are two days into your eighth. My, how you have grown and changed in these last two months. We just got back from your (very early) 9 month doctor's appointment, and while you were looking up at the weight charts at six months, I'm happy to report that you are now nicely settled in at the fifth percentile, tipping the scales at 16'4". Honestly, I thought you would be higher than that, but I'm not complaining. You're happy and healthy, and if you give my arm muscles a break for a few more months, who am I to complain?
About three weeks after our initial attempts at solids, you finally relented and are now eating like a champ. Some nights I wish I had three hands because it certainly would keep you a lot happier if I could just shovel those sweet potatoes in, one spoon after another. It is so refreshing to have a child who eats so happily. I hope you keep up these healthy eating habits. Maybe one day your big brother will learn from you that food and mealtimes are not the enemies.
As expected, you have really upped the chatter recently. Your favorite noise is now the squeal. I love it because it is such a wonderful indication of your complete happiness. You will make that noise for me, but you reserve your uninhibited squealing for your brother and your father. Reeves usually squeals back at you, but you know that Daddy will instantly pick you up and snuggle and smooch you, and I think that's why you really do it. You have really started to love your Daddy time. For a while, you were waking up around midnight just to play with him. I know this because you weren't wet or dirty, and you weren't hungry. All you wanted to do was get right in his face and play. Of course, he delighted in those times. I suppose you have gotten your late night fix of him for a while because you are once again sleeping your solid 11-12 hours a night.Speaking of bonding, you and Reeves are, apparently, on your way to becoming best friends. You adore him, and luckily, he appears to feel the same way. He loves to snuggle you and will even share some of his cherished toys with you. Of course, you aren't yet "taking" his toys, so we'll see how long this goodwill lasts, but we're off to a good start. Sometimes when you're fussy (which is rare), I can tell Reeves to go make you happy, and he is successful every time.
Your favorite song is Patty-Cake. You have even perfected your own version of the movements. You clasp your hands together and bounce them off of your mouth, all the while babbling incessantly. Oh, some may say that you're not really doing patty-cake, but you and I know better.
You have become quite the little mover of late, as well. You started sitting on your own right about 7 months. Since then, you have learned to "swim" all around the den. Somehow you manage to get to what you want despite the fact that you only, two days ago, got up on all fours. It is too much fun to see you do this. When some toy catches your eye, you direct yourself towards it with all the excitement and dedication you can muster. How you even have the strength or energy to play with it once you get there is beyond me. You still can't get yourself to a sitting position on your own, but I know that is right around the corner.
Bennett, I can hardly remember life without you. Eight months ago we didn't even realize how incomplete our lives were. You have brought such joy to all of us. We love you more than you'll ever know.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Kak, what awesome photos!

Elizabeth Harm said...

Katherine -
I am a friend of Elizabeth Render's. My family and I will be in Charleston the first week in June and I wanted to see if I could hire you to take some family photos of us on the beach. I'm not sure if you do this for people or not but would love to talk about it with you. My email is harm0617@bellsouth.net. If you are interested would you please email me with specifics? Thanks a million...you're a great photographer!

Elizabeth Harm