Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, July 03, 2006

Hey, I'm Walkin' Here!

Reeves got his first pairs of shoes this weekend. Morgan and Leeze met us at Stride Rite Saturday morning for the big buy. I was so glad they were there because Morn was able to keep an eye on R&L while I paid. Why there is not a fence at the front of that store, I'll never know. Anyway, his feet were measured, and (here's one thing he got from me) his left foot is bigger than his right foot. 4 1/2 and 4. So we bought size 5's. Since we have some hand-me-down red Keds, we bought brown sandals and saddle oxfords. OMG! He looks too big in shoes! I begged Shantal, our lovely helper, to take them off of him. "Please, don't sell them to me!" Alas, it was not to be. Much to my chagrin, Reeves must grow up. He is already off and running, and, while he has always had an independent spirit, I think he realizes that his shoes give him an even greater sense of freedom than he had before. No more Mama picking him up when the concrete is too hot; no more carrying him over things I think might hurt his little feet. When we pull in the driveway, I get him out, put him down, then get my bags out. No more holding him and contorting my body to get the bags. This is crazy! And he loves it! He loves negotiating steps, and he has even learned to turn around and go backwards down them. (Thank you, Gams!) He loves walking from the concrete to the grass and the grass to the concrete, the concrete to the bricks to the grass and back; pushing his wagon, which is three times his size; pushing the exercise ball, which is twice his size; balancing on and stepping over the hose which is, more often than not, stretched across the driveway. All of these outdoor activities which were, prior to Saturday, hindered by the interaction of the elements and his bare feet, can now go on for hours thanks to his new shoes. Baby needed new shoes, but Big Boy got them.

No comments: