Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, October 03, 2008

Lovin' Him Some Henry Time

Last year Reeves and Henry were in the same class at school. According to their teacher and any and all assistants they ever had, the two were inseparable. Whenever the class would go somewhere, Reeves and Henry would be side by side, holding hands. This was such a perfect set up because it was the first time in "school" for both of them, and it was comforting for them to have each other, especially in the beginning of the year. If you ask either of them, they are each other's "best buddies".
Unfortunately, this year, they are not in the same class, and to make matters even worse, their paths don't even cross during the school day. As such, there has been a vast Henry void in Reeves' life. We all get so busy that we often forget to make time for those most special to us. This has been the case with our families. Well, the last two days have done wonders to remind us all just how important it is that we get these two little guys (I mean BIG BOYS) together more often. It all started on Monday, when I walked Reeves into school. Normally, I just drop him off in the carpool line, but that morning, we were passing out the directories. (Thank you, Aileen, for all your hard work!) Henry's classroom door, which is usually closed, was open, and Henry was just inside. Reeves saw him and immediately ran to the doorway to talk to him. After a moment, he looked up at me with an almost pleading look in his eyes. I knew exactly what he wanted. I leaned down to him and told him he could go give Henry a hug. There should have been some sort of theme music playing. You would have thought they were long lost brothers. It nearly broke my heart to have to pull Reeves away to go to his classroom. Well, that sealed it. These boys needed to spend time together - and soon. I called Jenny, and we agreed that I would pick Henry up from school on Friday when I got Reeves.
As luck would have it, Jenny was also in last minute need of a babysitter for Thursday afternoon. Since Reeves had spent Wednesday night in the country, we headed out there. They had a blast! They ran through Judy's freshly hung laundry. They raced along the dirt road. They found a skull in The Back. Henry said it was a treasure. Reeves decided it was probably a dinosaur bone. They got filthy; they got hungry and thirsty and tired. It was a perfect afternoon all around. The only saving grace to it ending was the knowledge that they would see each other again the very next day.
Reeves was jumpy with anticipation this morning on our way to school. He couldn't wait for the school day to be over so he and Henry could play again. So, at 11:30, I met Reeves' class as they were walking through the lunchroom. He and I waited outside Henry's door until they were ready. Reeves would try to call to Henry through the vent at the bottom of the door. I had to quickly put a stop to that. For some reason, it was a little distracting to the teacher who was trying to read them a story. Go figure. Henry lined up at the front of the line inside the door. Reeves was just outside it. They were jumping up to see each other through the window that was just a few inches too high for them. Finally, Henry was free. We three jumped in they car and headed to Chick-E-Lay in Mt.P to meet Caroline and her brood. (Thank heavens for Lolly who had Bennett this whole time!!) Reeves, Henry, and Fordham played great together - so refreshing to see in a group of three. After a quick rest, we headed out for the Citadel parade. It was a Chamber of Commerce day, and how could we not oblige the urge to be outside?They loved it - climbing the canons, checking out the tanks and the jet, a bout of uncontrollable energy, ultimately hemmed in with the appearance of lollipops. From there we headed straight to Henry's house. (Could this day get any better for Reeves? Playing AND not having to go back to his own house!) David took the boys fishing in the pond. Oh the joy. That is a post in and of itself. I will get to that tomorrow.
Needless to say, we had to filthy, exhausted boys by the time night fell. And four very happy parents who count our blessings each day that not only are our boys best buddies, but they are family and already seem to know just how special and precious that makes them to each other. I watch them playing and look back at only a couple of decades ago when I would wait for David and his family to come into town so we could play. When we were their age until middle school, they lived out of town, and there were no happier times in my short life than those spent with my favorite cousin and best friend. I cannot express how happy it makes me that my son and his son have the same relationship. What a blessing.

No comments: