Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Ta-Twarium

This is how Reeves has decided to pronounce "aquarium". Given his speech issues, I know I should try to correct him on every pornounciation, but sometimes they're just too cute to make him stop.
Anyway, Tuesday, Caroline and I took the boys to the aquarium. No big deal, really, except that this was the first time we had tackled taking all five of them. Luckily, Campbell didn't try to bolt too many times, so other than making sure we knew where his stroller was, watching him didn't require too much work. He was a dream and slept the whole time.
After a picnic lunch outside (and an early effort to run out some energy), we headed in. The boys loved it! Since we bit the bullet last year and bought the membership, I am always pleased to see that no matter how many times we go to the aquarium, the boys are always fascinated and amazed on each visit. How lucky. It is such a great place to go on days that are too hot or too cold or too rainy. Money well spent.
The touch tank was the first hit of the day, but it was really only the appetizer for Camp Carolina, which was where we spent most of our time. The boys LOVED it! They made scary faces with the scarecrow out front. It had been a little more done up for Halloween, so it was a little different than usual. There was a tree trunk with buttons they could push to scare themselves. (Who knew? It worked everytime!) The campsite was the location of choice. I think the big boys liked how spooky it was, and of course, the little ones just wanted to be where the big boys were. I like this tendency of younger siblings. It makes the group a lot easier to watch.
After a quick visit to the big tank we headed upstairs to play on the shrimp boat. Because, in a multi-million dollar building full of all kinds of aquatic life, what is really more fun than the elevator? Seriously, we had to beg the boys to stay and look at the fish. Hello!! There is a huge shark a few small feet from your heads! Anyway, now that Bennett is a certified walker, he can have his run of the shrimp boat. He does pretty well holding his own, even against big kids he doesn't know. I think he and Pinckney kind of kicked this one girl out of the wheelhouse. It wasn't that they pushed her or anything, they just sort of came in and took over. I'm pretty sure she was just being nice to these "babies" by leaving.
On the way out, Reeves insisted that we stop and see the "beaver". The only thing I can think is that this fascination with beavers must have come from Winnie the Pooh. I tried to point out to him that it wasn't actually a beaver but an otter. We'll see if this distinction sticks for the next visit.
Caroline, thanks for a wonderful day. The boys (and I) slept like champs that afternoon. We're up for an adventure anytime!

2 comments:

Caroline said...

IT was so much fun and YES we can take five children anywhere and even deal with a 4 year old's temper tantrum. I could not have done it without you!

Anne said...

I think he thinks it's a beaver because his head is in the gutter with his Uncle Bryan and his daddy. But that's just what I'm saying.