No, it's not a nod to all of you gung-ho politicos to keep your unwanted opinions to yourself. I'm not going to change your choice, you're not going to change mine. It's just a play on words and nothing more. I think I remember RWH,III using this in gradeschool as an example of a sentence with the word "officious" in it. I'm guessing he didn't do very well in vocabulary that year. Anyway...
It's official. My three year old is a better fisherman than I. In his short life, he has already caught 6 or 7 more fish than I have in the last decade.

Friday evening, David took the boys fishing in the pond in their neighborhood. On his Scooby Doo rod, all 26 inches of it, Reeves reeled in at least 8 fish. Henry was equally successful on his Spiderman rod. I, on the other hand, failed to even hook a single fish.

Granted, my focus lay mainly on taking pictures and half-heartedly trying to quiet the screaming toddler, but nonetheless, I'm beginning to think I will never catch another fish again. Reeves, however, will be able to pick up the salt water soaked match that I have dropped and revive it into a burning torch of piscine glory.
Here he is with his first ever fish. I have no idea what kind it is, but David did say there were some tilapia and brim in there. He wasn't even afraid to pick it up. All boy, this one is.

On the walk back, according to David, the boys started debating over who had caught the biggest fish. Luckily he was there to suppress any further argument by getting them to agree that, although Henry had indeed caught the biggest fish, Reeves had caught the most. Whether or not this was actually true remains a mystery since each of the fish was thrown back, but it seemed to have worked to appease both boys. By the time they returned home (Jenny and I had left a little before them), they were each happily reporting their mutual successes.

So, here I sit, typing away about an instance in which my child has surpassed me. I know there will be more times like this for me, and I am sincerely happy about it. I just didn't think it would be so soon. Seriously?!? I'm losing out to a three year old already? I think it's time to dust off the old Ugly Stick and see if the fish really do prefer cartoon characters of if it's just me they loathe.

Way to go, Reeves! I love seeing you this happy. I love that you finally have a real fish on the end of that rod and not jst a little orange rubber one. I'm so proud of you!
1 comment:
I love having friends that remember my childhood memories too, but it was RWH IV. CUTE picts!!
Post a Comment