Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election Day 2006

So, I had this wonderful plan of waking up early yesterday. Getting Bryant up, and going and getting Reeves dressed and heading out of the door at 7:00. We, as a family, would stroll up to our polling place, which is about two blocks behind our house. Reeves would have his first glimpse at our country's democratic process. We would begin to indoctrinate him into understanding that it truly is his duty and privledge to cast his ballot in each and every election. Not only because it is apalling how few people actually turn up to vote, but because, really, if you don't vote, you can't bitch, and who can stand two years of not bitching about our politicians and the way this country is heading? I would probably even have my camera there for a nice photo op of the family. How great would that have looked on the blog? Maybe we would have all worn red, white, and blue, just to show our support for this great republic. (OK, probably not, but I did see a lady there with an American flag hat and a R,W, and B outfit on and realized that it doesn't mean she loves this country any more than I do. It just means that she is probably also the person who dresses up for each and every holiday in the corresponding, pre-planned outfits. "Oh, Arbor Day's coming up! Honey, go get my pine needle sweater out of the attic!")
Anyway, as you probably summized from my "So, I had this wonderful plan" line, we did not do this. How can you possible be at the voting place when you wake up AN HOUR AND A HALF LATE!! Why? Why? Why does this always happen to me on the days when I actually have something I want to do early in the morning? Any other given day - no problem waking up. I mean, I'm not a morning person, but I have grown up enough to know that sleeping in just because I don't feel like getting up accomplishes absolutely nothing. I'm usually awake long before the alarm goes off, but yesterday - either I never heard it, or it never went off. Who knows? Point is, by the time I opened my eyes and realized what time it was, not only were we not doing our "family voting", but I would be lucky to make it to work on time. It's just so typical.
I did make it to vote later in the day. It was not an entirely unpleasant experience. The line was not too long, and people seemed to generally be in good moods. I was only a little perturbed by the people who were taking nearly 20 minutes in the booths. I don't understand this. Do these people know absolutely nothing about what has been in the media constantly for the last two months? How can it take that long to press some buttons? It took me all of about 90 seconds. I was worried some of these people had passed out.
Oh well, maybe next year we'll be able to do our family voting thing. I should probably get in bed at 8:00 the night before, just to be safe!

Jodie, saw this and immediately thought of you! How great would that look on the back of the minivan? Of course, we couldn't let you park in our driveway anymore, but we'd pick you up from the parking lot down the street.

2 comments:

JTW said...

Gee thanks. But I disagree about the how long it takes to vote bit . . . . more later.

Anne said...

Yea, about the voting time. Bryan and I discussed this after we voted (we did the family voting thing sans children). I went in with cheat sheet in hand so that I would know which way to go on the ammendments and referendums, and of course I knew who I wanted to vote for, and it took me way longer than 90 seconds! And I was going at what I felt was a pretty fast pace. I was actually afraid that I may go over the alloted 3 minutes and get booted out of the booth.

Are you proficient in brail AND a speed reader? However I do agree that 20 minutes is WAY too long.