"I need: to take time to visit more with the people who are truly important to me"
Writing this line last week really struck a cord with me. Why is it that I rarely do the things I need to do, particularly when some of those things are things I love to do? Going to see my grandparents is one. For the most part, I only see them when we are all together at a family gathering. This is terrible. They live so close to me, and yet somehow I can't find the time to go see them? What is wrong here? Reeves has three great-grandparents on my side. Three! That is amazing, and yet, I haven't taken advantage of it. Well, thank you, Nancy, for starting that TAG. Sometimes what we need is a swift kick in the rear in order to do the things we need to do.
So Saturday, while Bryant went out to work in the woods, Reeves and I visited. We went to Grandmother and Poppa's in the morning. It was wonderful to see them. We played inside;

we played outside, running between the hedges on the fromt walk, just like we used to do when we were children.
Grandmother and I took Reeves on a walk to see the ducks. We didn't see them, but he did fall sound asleep in the stroller. I put him straight into the car, where he remained happily dreaming, kissed Grandmother and Poppa goodbye, and took off down the road, calling Mimi to see if she was home.
As luck would have it, she was home, so a napping Reeves and I took off to the Boro. Since he woke up as we pulled into the driveway, it took him a while to warm up to her, but it wasn't long before he was making toys out of all the things around her house and finding nooks and crannies she probably didn't even know existed, even after more than 50 years in that house. In true Mimi form, Reeves was put to work as the day wore on. No reason to sit here burning daylight, let's get this lawn mowed.
Just kidding. Reeves was fascinated by the old fashioned lawn mower and insisted on pushing it and "fixing" the tires. Now, when he grows up, and we ask him to mow the grass, Reeves can officially say that he has been doing it since he was 17 months old, isn't that long enough. (BTW, he's 17 months old today. Monthly update - maybe.)
As the sun dipped into the horizon, we began our trek home. It was sad to leave both houses, but I will always treasure this special day when my son and I visited each of his great-grandparents. We were both exhausted, but it was that really good exhaustion you get from spending the day with family, those people who make you feel completely comfortable and totally loved. And there is nothing like seeing the love in your grandparents eyes, not only when they look at you, but especially when they look at your child, and you realize that being a greatgrandparent must be three times as amazing as being a parent, and your mind cannot even fathom that because how could anything be more amazing than being a parent? I know time is fleeting, and someday I'll be the oldest generation in my family. I can only pray that my grandchildren will take the time to bring my great grandchildren to visit me.
Writing this line last week really struck a cord with me. Why is it that I rarely do the things I need to do, particularly when some of those things are things I love to do? Going to see my grandparents is one. For the most part, I only see them when we are all together at a family gathering. This is terrible. They live so close to me, and yet somehow I can't find the time to go see them? What is wrong here? Reeves has three great-grandparents on my side. Three! That is amazing, and yet, I haven't taken advantage of it. Well, thank you, Nancy, for starting that TAG. Sometimes what we need is a swift kick in the rear in order to do the things we need to do.
So Saturday, while Bryant went out to work in the woods, Reeves and I visited. We went to Grandmother and Poppa's in the morning. It was wonderful to see them. We played inside;

we played outside, running between the hedges on the fromt walk, just like we used to do when we were children.
Grandmother and I took Reeves on a walk to see the ducks. We didn't see them, but he did fall sound asleep in the stroller. I put him straight into the car, where he remained happily dreaming, kissed Grandmother and Poppa goodbye, and took off down the road, calling Mimi to see if she was home.As luck would have it, she was home, so a napping Reeves and I took off to the Boro. Since he woke up as we pulled into the driveway, it took him a while to warm up to her, but it wasn't long before he was making toys out of all the things around her house and finding nooks and crannies she probably didn't even know existed, even after more than 50 years in that house. In true Mimi form, Reeves was put to work as the day wore on. No reason to sit here burning daylight, let's get this lawn mowed.
Just kidding. Reeves was fascinated by the old fashioned lawn mower and insisted on pushing it and "fixing" the tires. Now, when he grows up, and we ask him to mow the grass, Reeves can officially say that he has been doing it since he was 17 months old, isn't that long enough. (BTW, he's 17 months old today. Monthly update - maybe.)
As the sun dipped into the horizon, we began our trek home. It was sad to leave both houses, but I will always treasure this special day when my son and I visited each of his great-grandparents. We were both exhausted, but it was that really good exhaustion you get from spending the day with family, those people who make you feel completely comfortable and totally loved. And there is nothing like seeing the love in your grandparents eyes, not only when they look at you, but especially when they look at your child, and you realize that being a greatgrandparent must be three times as amazing as being a parent, and your mind cannot even fathom that because how could anything be more amazing than being a parent? I know time is fleeting, and someday I'll be the oldest generation in my family. I can only pray that my grandchildren will take the time to bring my great grandchildren to visit me.
5 comments:
All so true!! Loved your story.
Tears in my eyes over here.
I try like crazy to take the boys visiting with great-grandparents and get mad at myself when I let silly reasons get in the way. Especially since they lost one of their SIX great grandparents this spring. Time truly is fleeting and we are extremely blessed to have the opportunity to share our children with people who meant so much to us when we were children!! We should grab hold whenever we can!
Loved your post!
I also love taking Betsy to see my grandparents, who live just around the corner and we still do not see them enough! The tag really did put it all in perspective.... Lets finish our conversation from Friday night!
thanks for that... I need to be more appreciative of the one great-grandparent Wilson and Alexandria have-- sweet pictures, precious moments, and a great post!
So sweet, Kak. I'm jealous that you have great-grands here in town. I loved the pics of Reeves with your grandfather... I know that both of them loved their time together.
Post a Comment