Our Halloween festivities started with the carving of the pumpkin on Monday night. Reeves was very intent on watching Daddy open this orange orb that had been sitting in our kitchen for two weeks. He was intrigued by the strings and seeds, but not so much so that he felt he needed to touch it more than once.
By some twist of fate, Mama ended up being the one to scoop out the guts. I'm still trying to figure out how this happened! I'm supposed to be the one with the camera in her hands, not the one with her hands in the pumpkin! Reeves was there to supervise Anna and me. Try as we might to get him to help, he would only watch.
Before carving the pumpkins, we headed over to the barn to see the horses. We were at Anna's sister's house, and they board and coach the CofC Riding team. So there were plenty of horses for us to visit, and Reeves made sure we visited each one. We tacked our way back and forth up and down the barn.
Reeves was anxious for some action other than checking out the insides of pumpkins (been there, done that now), so once we bundled him up against the cold night air, he grabbed Anna's hand to drag her to the barn, insisting to walk across the jump ring rather than around it, as we were all doing. True to form, Reeves was not scared of these gentle giants at all.
He even let them eat right out of his hand. We couldn't believe it!
Possessing absolutely no artistic abilities, coming up with a design and carving the pumpkin is quite difficult for me. Thankfully, Bryant does have a bit of a creative mind, so there's hope for Reeves yet to enjoy his art classes. Here is Reeves admiring the final product. He, of course, loved watching the candle flicker inside the pumpkin, then blowing it out, and having Daddy light it again and again.
On Halloween night, we headed out to the country for the trick-or-treating hayride. I, of course, got stuck in every possible bit of traffic because the drivers around here are complete idiots with no concept of how to drive by an accident without stopping to gooseneck, all the while secretly hoping to see at least a little bit of blood and gore so that they can go home and tell their families, when the news coverage comes on, "Oh! I was there, right after it happened. I SAW the guy being put in the ambulance! I swear!" What a morbid fascination.
Anyway, swerving back on track.... I got out there so late that I had to park at Julie and Troy's and meet the hayride along the way.
Reeves was halfway through a lollipop when I got on, so I was instantly covered in stickiness for the rest of the night. Good thing the little jacket I had on is dry clean only! (I should have known better, but it's hard to think about what you are wearing that night at 7:00 in the morning, forgetting you aren't going to have time to stop by the house before the candy gathering!)
By chance, Julie had picked out a dinosaur costume for Preston that was very similar to Reeves' dragon. They were too cute together. And, i couldn't believe it, but both actually preferred to have the heads on!
Here is the gang from the hayride. The children all love it, but it is equally as enjoyable for the parents. And thank heavens for the cool weather!
Of course, Reeves was only content in the hay for so long. It wasn't long before he was wanting to be the one driving the gang around!
By some twist of fate, Mama ended up being the one to scoop out the guts. I'm still trying to figure out how this happened! I'm supposed to be the one with the camera in her hands, not the one with her hands in the pumpkin! Reeves was there to supervise Anna and me. Try as we might to get him to help, he would only watch.
Before carving the pumpkins, we headed over to the barn to see the horses. We were at Anna's sister's house, and they board and coach the CofC Riding team. So there were plenty of horses for us to visit, and Reeves made sure we visited each one. We tacked our way back and forth up and down the barn.
Reeves was anxious for some action other than checking out the insides of pumpkins (been there, done that now), so once we bundled him up against the cold night air, he grabbed Anna's hand to drag her to the barn, insisting to walk across the jump ring rather than around it, as we were all doing. True to form, Reeves was not scared of these gentle giants at all.
He even let them eat right out of his hand. We couldn't believe it!
Possessing absolutely no artistic abilities, coming up with a design and carving the pumpkin is quite difficult for me. Thankfully, Bryant does have a bit of a creative mind, so there's hope for Reeves yet to enjoy his art classes. Here is Reeves admiring the final product. He, of course, loved watching the candle flicker inside the pumpkin, then blowing it out, and having Daddy light it again and again.
On Halloween night, we headed out to the country for the trick-or-treating hayride. I, of course, got stuck in every possible bit of traffic because the drivers around here are complete idiots with no concept of how to drive by an accident without stopping to gooseneck, all the while secretly hoping to see at least a little bit of blood and gore so that they can go home and tell their families, when the news coverage comes on, "Oh! I was there, right after it happened. I SAW the guy being put in the ambulance! I swear!" What a morbid fascination.Anyway, swerving back on track.... I got out there so late that I had to park at Julie and Troy's and meet the hayride along the way.
Reeves was halfway through a lollipop when I got on, so I was instantly covered in stickiness for the rest of the night. Good thing the little jacket I had on is dry clean only! (I should have known better, but it's hard to think about what you are wearing that night at 7:00 in the morning, forgetting you aren't going to have time to stop by the house before the candy gathering!)
By chance, Julie had picked out a dinosaur costume for Preston that was very similar to Reeves' dragon. They were too cute together. And, i couldn't believe it, but both actually preferred to have the heads on!
Here is the gang from the hayride. The children all love it, but it is equally as enjoyable for the parents. And thank heavens for the cool weather!
Of course, Reeves was only content in the hay for so long. It wasn't long before he was wanting to be the one driving the gang around!
No comments:
Post a Comment