That's Miller second from the left on the front row.
That's Reeves, hydrating after all the running he was doing during the hot graduation.
Hard to believe it's June already. Hard to believe Reeves will soon be two. Sunday, it was hard to believe Miller was graduating from high school. It seems like only yesterday, I was standing in the eighth grade room at CDS when I got the news that Andy and Carolyn had just given birth to a baby boy. The Crown Prince, we called him because, after all, he was the only boy after a stunning parade of 6 beautiful granddaughters. He was the youngest, he was the boy, and he was The Third. Of course, we all fell instantly in love with him. He was showered with attention and affection by all 6 of his older cousins (technically, 5 cousins and 1 sister) at every family gathering. Truth be told, it's a wonder he's come out as tough as he has because if it were up to us girls, we would never let a single thing hurt him - well, maybe Sarah would from time to time, but, of course, that's her responsibility as the Big Sissy.
That summer of 1989, Carolyn and Andy asked me to be Miller's godmother.
I had never been more honored by anything in my life. The weight of that responsibility is something I have carried to this day, and it is probably a large part of the reason why I teared up as Miller and his fellow classmates were processing in on Sunday. Again, thank heavens for the camera viewfinder!
We've watched as he went from toeheaded toddler, dragging his string of pacifier links, to little boy, just starting out at soccer and carrying the cross at our wedding, to high school graduate, accomplished soccer star, handsome young man, and for the last summer of his life, not yet a Citadel man.
It's true. In August, he will be matriculating as a knob at Sing Sing on the Ashley. He comes from a long line of Citadel men, and as we have all grown up hearing the stories, I know there will be many new ones from Miller in the coming four years. From BE green to Citadel blue, I hope the transition is easy for him. I'm sure Reeves, Duece and I will be there at many Friday dress parades, looking to see if we recognize him below the brim of his hat. He will certainly be standing just a little bit taller and straighter than any other cadet. I know his marching will be slightly more precise than those around him. It may seem, to the outside world that all these cadets look the same, but we will be able to pick out Miller. This life was born and bred into him and he will merely be stepping into a role that has been waiting for him his whole life.
Like Grandmother, I get emotional around these uniformed boys (men). I can't imagine what it will be like next year when Miller, my godson, Miller, becomes part of the Long Grey Line. I guess those wipes will be used for wiping more than just babies bottoms on Friday afternoons.
Congratulations, Miller, on all your accomplishments! We are so proud of you. You are part of the reason I knew Bryant was the man for me. At his first Easter with us, you insisted on sitting next to Bryant because you liked him and thought he was a good guy. Believe it or not, the endorsement of a 9 year old actually carries some weight with me.
Reeves gets excited every time we mention your name. He loves you so much, and I can't tell you how much Bryant and I appreciate the fact that you take care of him at so many family gatherings. Even though there are always at least 13 other people around, we can relax knowing you are responsible for him. Again, if you've got The Almost Two Year Old in your corner, you must be a pretty special fellow.
And thanks for being so patient with him on Sunday, when he insisted on "helping" you open your presents. To borrow a tried and true quote from Dr. Suess, "Oh! The places you'll go! You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go." But always remember, you're never really alone. You've got us all behind you.
We're family, and family is always there with you, no matter how embarassing we may be!

No comments:
Post a Comment