Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Preston's Graduation*

Since we're already on this milestone/growing up train, we might as well stay on it for one more stop.
Last night we attended Preston's graduation. OK, it wasn't actually his graduation, since he is only in 4 year old kindergarden. It was more like his "End of Year Show". The 4's and 5's were all together on stage. Every student approached the microphone and gave his full name.

I must say, the show could have ended right there because I was so impressed that each child actually got up, made the long, solo walk to the microphone, and clearly and loudly enunciated his full name.

I think it speaks volumes to the confidence this school has given these children that they could do that on their own. These are the same children who, just nine months earlier, would hide behind their mothers' skirts when being introduced to only one person, and now they are speaking on stage in front of a crowd. Not only did they have to say their names, they also had to each give a quote from All I Really Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarden. For the record and posterity's sake, Preston's line was, "Flush the toilet every time you go to the bathroom." He had kept this part of the show a secret. I think he knew we would all laugh when he delivered it.
There were two musical acts. First, the four's entertained us with their version of the Adam's Family theme song, appropriately retitled, The Kindergarden Class. This song, as you know, requires snapping. Let it not be said that Preston ever does anything halfway. He has practiced and masterd snapping, through blistered fingers and all.

I wouldn't even be able to pick up a fork, much less snap if my fingertips looked like his do right now, but there he was last night, up there snapping perfectly, singing each word, and doing each sign.

Preston was, naturally, beside his friend, Meredith. She lives just down the road from him, and they are too cute together. The teacher had laid out their instruments along the front of the stage before they all got up, and we could all immediately see that Preston had eyed the one he wanted. It was too funny watching him have to be patient, but when it was time to pick up the instruments, he was sure to get his recorder, and he blew it like Dizzy Gillespie.

The five's did a rendition of "New York, New York" which was retitled "First Grade, First Grade". It was precious, top hats and kicks, but, hey, I'm here to talk about Preston.
Dressed in his bow tie from his Uncle B, he looked way too grown up for me. I can't believe he's already 5. Time has flown by. Preston got four awards last night - PE, Math, Reading, and Citizenship.

What a stellar student! It was so wonderful to watch all these children shine last night. They truly enjoyed what they were doing, and it was so great to see them all playing together after the show. I overheard one of Preston's friends come up to him and say, "Hey! Let's go find your grandfather!"

I suppose Reev-us even has a reputation with the youngest generation. Who wouldn't love to hear that accent?
Preston, we are so proud of you!

This is just the beginning of a lifelong journey of learning and discovery. I hope all your teachers can be as wonderful as the two you had this year. I hope you can approach each new school year with the same enthusiasm you began this year. I know you will be a wonderful influence on Reeves and Duece and your new brother or sister as the years go on. Remember how important school is. In the words of Aristotle, "Education is the best provision for old age." You have got a great start going here. Can't wait to see where you go with it.


*In Pop's words, this wouldn't technically be a graduation, only a "promotion to the next grade". At least that was what he told me each May when I questioned why I wasn't getting a "graduation" present.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He really is an adorable little boy! He just looks sooo happy!
Laura